If I could, I would probably have apple pie every morning for breakfast.
After all, who doesn’t love the idea of digging into the sweet, gooey filling of an apple pie? With hints of cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, and a nice chunk of apple in every slice…. Yum!
One morning, it dawned on me to combine two of my favorite things: Apple pie and oatmeal! This oatmeal is not only filling and belly-warming, but it has the same flavors as apple pie! This warm bowl of oatmeal is piled high with chunks of tender apple, decadently sweet brown sugar, and the perfect amount of spice (plus everything nice!)
I pretty much lived off of this oatmeal when I was on travel, because oatmeal is SO easy to make in a hotel room (use the coffeepot!) and I could just use Splenda Packets and apples that I got at the store. Plus, the smell and taste of the pillowy oats brought back fond memories of eating a delicious breakfast at home.
Start off the day with something sweet: these oats are like a bowl of heaven! Quick to make and delectable to devour, there is no reason to skip breakfast if you have this recipe in your repertoire!
Apple Pie Oats
Serves 1 Calories/Serving: 320
- 2/3c. uncooked oats
- 1 medium apple (Fuji or Gala), cut into large bite-sized cubes
- 2tbl splenda (optional– I find it to be sweet enough without, but you might want to add it in if you love sweets!)
- 1tsp packed brown sugar
- 1/8tsp cinnamon and nutmeg
- Cook oats according to package directions, using water in place of other liquids.
- Meanwhile, place the apple cubes in the bowl with the sugar and microwave on HIGH for 90 seconds. Allow to cool one minute.
- Pour the cooked apple pieces into the oatmeal, and sprinkle with the cinnamon and nutmeg. Enjoy a deliciously filling breakfast!