According to the cookbook, these are their most popular breakfast items. I’ve only tried their cupcakes, but after testing the recipe, I can see why these are so popular! Moist with great flavor, they could easily be dessert any time.
Recipe notes: the batter is too thick to easily swirl the preserves (but doesn’t detract from the taste); they come out slightly too sweet and buttery. Cutting the sugar and butter back a tiny bit would make them even better.
Verdict: would definitely make again.
Raspberry Cream Cheese Breakfast Buns
Makes approximately 18 muffins
1-3/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1 8oz. package of cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/4 cup milk
1/2 t. vanilla
1/2 cup raspberry preserves (blueberry or strawberry would work too)
powdered sugar (optional)
– Preheat the oven to 350F. Line muffin tin.
– Combine flour, powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
– Cream together cream cheese, butter, and sugar with an electric mixer until smooth (a few minutes).
– Beat in the eggs until mixed.
– Mix in dry ingredients, alternating with the milk and vanilla, starting with the flour mixture. Mix until just combined.
– Fill each muffin cup 3/4 full.
– Spoon a teaspoon of preserves on each muffin, and swirl into the batter using a knife.
– Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until a cake tester or toothpick comes out clean.
– Cool on a rack; dust with powdered sugar when completely cooled.
(Adapted from The Complete Magnolia Bakery Cookbook)