Brownies are one of those baked goods that’s tricky because I like to be a “scratch” baker, yet I am often underwhelmed by the scratch brownies that I, as well as other people make. I hate to admit it, but there is something so much more delicious about those brownies that originated in a… Ghiradelli *gasp* box… HOWEVER, I will say that these here brownies are indeed finger-lickin’ good, and give the Ghiradelli box a run for its money.
These brownies utilize an abundance of dark chocolate (Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa, and bittersweet 60% cocoa chocolate chips), and a good amount of salt to balance all the richness. They have only 3/4 cup flour and only 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder, making them more moist and fudgy.
Makes 9 brownies.
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cocoa (I used Hershey’s Special Dark)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 stick butter, softened at room temperature
1&1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips (I used 60% cocoa chips)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour an 8×8 inch baking pan
- Sift together flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder
- In a standing mixer, cream together butter, sugar, and vanilla extract until combined
- Add eggs to butter mixture one at a time
- Slowly add flour mixture to butter mixture until combined
- Stir in chocolate chips
- Spread into prepared baking pan, batter will be very thick. You may need to get your hands slightly wet and pat down mixture into pan to make it even
- Bake in oven for 30-40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
Take a break from life and bake up a batch of these delicious brownies!