In the last few days I have not been eating all that many fruits and vegetables. The odd apple, the lettuce and tomato combo in a sandwich, perhaps a sprig of decoration parsley on a bowl of four-cheese pasta.
As someone who has fully taken to heart various public announcements about getting your daily requirement of greens I half expected to die.
If you’re not dead and would like to eat some greens and other colours to make the government happy you could make a blueberry smoothie in the morning and start the day purple.
It might make you happy too.
You will need: (for two large blueberry smoothies)
1 cup of chopped spinach (more if you fancy)
1 frozen banana
1 cup of frozen blueberries (or ‘savage myrtles’ as the French like to call them)
note: fresh blueberries would be delicious too and would make the smoothie a little less icy (but I like icy!)
a spot of water
1. Slice up a banana, put it in a freezer bag and stick it in the freezer overnight (of course if you make smoothies a lot, you might want to freeze in bulk so that you can have frozen bananas on hand at all times)
2. Clean your spinach well and good. Sand is never a good addition to a smoothie. Chop it up with a large knife.
3. Quarter the orange and cut out the pulp half-heartedly. Its best to do it half-heartedly because then you can bite into the remaining orange bits with your teeth. yum.
4. Put the frozen banana, orange pieces, spinach and blueberries in a blender. Add a bit of water if that makes the blending easier.
5. Blend the ingredients until smooth. Serve in a tall glass and drink like a champion.
(You should know that this drink turns your mouth purple and can make you look pretty terrifying. Please don’t drink this and then go straight to work without brushing your teeth. Trust me.)