Sadik bought a new bbq sauce from Boston so I thought we should try it on the weekend. You know he’s so funny.
When I asked him why did he pick this bottle, he told he it’s the 50% extra sign on the label. But well, he told me it also said that it’s an award winning recipe bbq sauce.
So we grilled some sirloin steak. I usually like my steak medium rare, but when I don’t get a good quality meat, I cook it well done.
My husband and kids love their steak well done, and it was quite good.
The bbq sauce worked great on the steak. We serve it with mashed pumpkin and some tomato and basil salad.
Grilled Steaks with Mashed Pumpkin and Tomato Basil Salad
2 Sirloin Steaks
Sea salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp butter
1/4 cup water
4 tbsp bbq sauce
Oil for greasing
For Mashed Pumpkin
500 gm pumpkin
A pinch of pumpkin pie spice
Salt and Pepper to taste
Tomato and Basil Salad
A handful of cherry tomato- roughly chopped
A handful of basil- chopped
1 jalapeno- diced
Juice of half a lime
Salt to taste
1. Season steaks with salt and pepper and keep aside for 10 minutes.
2. Heat a skillet and grease it with a little oil. Add steaks and grilled them over a medium heat. Brush bbq sauce over the meat at 5 minutes before it’s done. Remove steaks from the pan and let it rest for 3-5 minutes before serve. Add butter and a little water in the skillet to create a little gravy from what is left in it.
3. To make mashed pumpkin, steam the pumpkin until cooked. Add pumpkin pie spice, salt and pepper, and mash until smooth. You can also roast or bake pumpkin instead of steaming it.
4. For salad, mix all ingredient together and season with salt and lime juice.
5. To plate it up, slice your steak into thin strips and drizzle with the gravy. Add mashed pumpkin and tomato basil salad on the side.