For a vegetarian option, use a can of chickpeas instead of chicken and a nice vegetable broth, it works just as well.
Chicken & Biscuits (for 4-6 people)
For the chicken mixture:
1 onion, finely chopped
3 carrots, sliced
1 celery stalk, chopped (optional but adds a lot of flavour to the base)
1 bay leaf
2 tbsp flour
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups shredded chicken
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup frozen corn
salt and pepper
mixed herbs, such as herbes de provence
For the biscuit mixture*:
1 cup flour
1/2 tbsp sugar
1 heaped teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup cold butter
1/3 cup of milk plus a few tbsp if needed
- Preheat the oven at 375F.
- Drizzle olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add onions, carrots and celery and sprinkle with salt and the bay leaf. Allow vegetables to sweat and soften.
- Once the vegetables are softened, remove the bay leaf, and add the flour to the vegetables and mix well. Gradually add broth and whisk. Bring the vegetable mixture to a simmer to thicken.
- Stir in shredded chicken, peas, and corn. Season with salt and pepper and herbs. Take off the heat.
Next, to make the biscuits.
- Mix the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder together well.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or knives until it forms fine crumbs.
- Gradually stir in the milk until mixture makes a dough – try not to over mix the dough.
- Turn the dough out on a floured surface and press it down to form a circle. Cut into 6 triangles or cut out into circles and place on top of the chicken mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes, let set for 5 minutes and enjoy.