Quick planning, late nights, it all requires a little late night snack and that’s why when I got paired with Rebekah from Making Miracles for this month’s Secret Recipe Club and I ran onto this Candied Popcorn recipe in her archives… I knew it was a match made in heaven for me!
I really don’t think Candied Popcorn is the proper name for this dish though. I think Crack Popcorn is more fitting. Like Rebekah mentioned in her post, these little bites are addicting. I have never had a Candied Popcorn quite like this before and that’s why I was so thrilled to try it. This recipe uses honey and dry jell-o mix. It’s really quite easy and doesn’t last long around our house. What I made had a sweet and spicy factor because I just so happened to use Jalapeño Popcorn and strawberry jell-o. :P.
Rebekah mixed her liquid ingredients in the microwave, but I chose to do so over medium-high heat on the stove. I wanted to be able to see the mixture better. I had no issue in doing so either. Either way you go about it, there’s no doubt your family will love it. You can use any flavor jell-o you wish and even coordinate the colors with holidays.
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (Dixie Crystals)
- 1 3-ounce package Jell-o, dry
- 9 cups popped popcorn (I used two bags)
- Preheat oven to 250*F and line a large baking dish with a silicon mat or parchment paper.
- Pour popcorn onto the baking dish.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter and honey.
- Next, add the sugar and dry Jell-o.
- Bring to a boil, allowing to foam and double in size.
- Quickly pour the liquid over the popcorn and stir to coat as much as possible.
- Place in oven and bake at 250*F for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Remove, allow to cool and harden.
- Store in an airtight container!