Recipe for the Crust (This crust recipe is a basic Pie Crust recipe and can be used in many dishes)
All purpose flour — 2 1/2 cups
Granulated Sugar — 1 Tbsp
Salt — 1 tsp
Unsalted butter (Chilled and cut in to cubes) — 1 cup
Ice water — 1/4 to 1/2 cup
1. Combine All purpose flour and sugar well. In a food processor or using a pastry knife (if you don’t have either the food processor or pastry knife, use your fingertips) blend in the butter with the flour. The flour should become like crumbs.
2. Add ice water and mix in with the flour 1 tablespoon at a time until the flour mixture can be lumped together. In a counter top or clean surface, lump together all the flour together and make 2 discs from the dough. (Note: We need only 1 disc for the butter tart recipe. You can half the measurements and make only 1 disc or make the entire recipe and freeze one disc and use the other). Cover the discs with a plastic wrap and refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour.
Recipe for the filling:
Unsalted butter — 1/3 cup (softened)
Light Brown Sugar — 1 cup
Silken tofu (blended) –3/8 cup (1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp)
Vanilla Extract — 1 tsp
Light cream (half & half) — 1/4 cup
Raisins — 1/4 cup
Chopped roasted almonds — 1/4 cup
1. Beat the butter and sugar until creamy and smooth. Add the blended silken tofu and combine well. Stir in vanilla extract and combine well. Add the cream. (Note: I was so tempted to add more milk or tofu because the filling will not be as runny as the egg version. Please don’t add more liquid to make it runny. The filling will be thick and thats fine).
Recipe for Butter Tarts:
1. Remove the dough from the refrigerator, unwrap and on a lightly floured surface roll the dough in to 1/8 inch thick. Cut out 4″ rounds using a cookie cutter (I used a lid as I didn’t have a 4″ cookie cutter). Place the rounds on a muffin pan or small ramekins and press in the center to mould the dough in to a cup inside the muffin pan. Cover the muffin pan and refrigerator for about 30-60 minutes.
2. Add about 1 – 1-1/2 tablespoon of filling inside each of the cups. Bake in 375F for about 15-20 minutes until the butter filling turns golden brown and the crust is lightly brown. Remove from oven and let it cool completely. Slide a knife around the edges to remove the tarts from the muffin pan. Enjoy!!!