This is actually a return engagement for this recipe here on Fox in the Kitchen. I first published it back in October 2012 as part of my Must Make Monday series. Which reminds me I haven’t done a recipe roundup since the Super Bowl Paleo Recipe Roundup at the end of January. Me thinks it’s time to get working on an Easter Recipe Roundup.
Anyhow, (sorry…I’m easily distracted) this is one of my favourite year-round salads and the first recipe I thought of when I heard about the Lentil Recipe Revelations Challenge hosted by Canadian Lentils. So today, I decided to take a break from working on my blog makeover (more about that in a later post) so I could enter this Recipe in the Contest.
I will love you forever if you could take a moment and pop on over to Canadian Lentils Facebook Page and ‘Like’ my Recipe. More Likes, equals a better chance of winning
Now, about the recipe, you start by sprouting green lentils a couple of days before you make the salad. You begin the sprouting process by placing dried green lentils (note: red lentils cannot be subbed for green) in a bowl. Add a generous amount of water to completely cover the lentils, with about an inch or two of extra water. Cover container with a lid, or plastic wrap. Leave the lentils to soak for about 8 hours, drain, rinse and place in a mason jar, or glass bowl. Cover with a damp cloth and leave at room temperature in a dark place. Rinse green lentils at least twice a day, or about every 6-8 hours for 1-2 days. You can eat sprouted green lentils raw or cooked.
Leanne of Healthful Pursuit has a good tutorial on How To Sprout. Another great resource for sprouting, is Sprout People. Note: It’s important to do your research before making and eating raw sprouts as some types of sprouts must be cooked before eating.
I steam my sprouted lentils for about 5 minutes and allow them to cool before I use them in this powerhouse salad. Not too much time in the steamer. As I said, I love the fresh crunch of sprouted green lentils.
Sprouted Lentil Quinoa Salad
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
- 1 Cup sprouted green lentils (sprout them for a few days and then steam for a couple of minutes, allow to cool before using)
- 1/2 Cup Quinoa, rinsed and cooked for 10-15 minutes in 1 Cup water
- small handful fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2-3 green onions, sliced (optional)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil or salad oil of choice
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- fresh ground pepper and sea salt, to taste
- Mix salad ingredients together in a medium size bowl.
- Mix dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Pour dressing over salad, toss untile mixed.
- Serve immediately, or chill until ready to serve.
- Add chopped red or white onions, sliced black or green olives, chopped red and green peppers, cucumber, roasted hazelnuts, other roasted nuts, or seeds.