Makes one 22 cm cake
125 g butter
125 ml castor sugar
5 ml vanilla essence
2 extra large eggs
125 ml smooth apricot jam
310 ml self-raising flour
3 ml bicarbonate of soda
125 ml cocoa powder
250 ml buttermilk
150 g dark chocolate
40 ml cream
double quantities for cake as seen in photos
What needs to be done
- Cream butter and sugar and add the vanilla essence.
- Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until mixture becomes fluffy.
- Add the apricot jam and beat until smooth.
- Sift flour, bicarb and cocoa and add, alternately with buttermilk, to butter mixture.
- Line your cake tin with greaseproof paper and spoon in mixture.
- Bake at 180º C for 30-45 minutes.
- Leave to cool slightly in tin before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
- For chocolate icing, bring the cream the boil in a saucepan, pour over broken chocolate. Whisk mixture and allow the chocolate to melt. Pour over the cake.
If you are anything like me, buy some extra choc because one thing is for sure, not all of it will make it into the pot.