And now – this turmeric latte. Turmeric is mostly used in savory dishes – like curries – but has lately been making an appearance in sweet dishes, health drink and now lattes! People have touted the benefits of turmeric (anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, etc…) but all I can tell you is it pairs well with cinnamon, honey and cardamom – especially when you add it all to steamed milk. Also, turmeric will stain like a mother***** so proceed with caution. It has some bite and is pretty earthy, but the honey and additional spices really complement those qualities. It also doesn’t dissolve – similar to cinnamon – so I like to give my latte a good strain in a fine mesh sieve before serving. And – a $10 frother from Sur La Table will take this drink from 9 to a 10. I mean, who doesn’t love a nice foaming latte?!
- 1 cup milk – you can use whole, 2%, skim, coconut, almond, etc…
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon honey
- 1 cinnamon stick
- cardamon pods
- In a small pot combine milk, turmeric powder, honey, cinnamon stick and cardamon pods.
- Set on low to medium heat and let warm to desired temperature, stirring occasionally. If you heat too fast or don’t stir, the turmeric powder will stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Once mixture has reached desired temperature, using a fine mesh sieve, strain into glass.
- For a frothy top – use a frother (you can pick one up for $10).
- Garnish with a sprinkling of cinnamon.