Do you agree? I do, I do, I completely do especially after making this simple sandwich. Although I love to eat complicated, laborious meals once in a while I almost always fall right on the floor for simple comforting meals. Have I mentioned about Andersen Bakery in any of my posts? If I have, you might already know that its my favorite go-to place for a hearty meal which is usually a bowl of Mediterranean soup and a half-sandwich(you guessed it right–it’s Roasted Tomato Caprese Sandwich). I have the same soup and sandwich combo every time and I’m sure the next time I walk into their door, the nice lady at the counter would hand me my meal without asking. Do you have the same meal from your favorite cafe/restaurant like me? Would love to hear from you.
When this week’s Avant Garde Cookies decided to make sandwiches I was so excited as I wanted to try to replicate my favorite sandwich at home. A quick google search gave me a recipe from here…which was somewhat close to what I was looking for and I did make some modification based on what was available in my pantry. The succulent tomatoes with mouth-splattering juices will make you say Mmm..Mmm..good, guaranteed! along with the perfect combination of creamy avocado and melted mozzarella cheese….the thought is provoking me to make some more…do you want some?
Roasted Tomato Caprese & Avocado Sandwich
- Ripe Tomatoes — 3 (cut them in half)
- Garlic — 2 medium cloves (finely chopped)
- Salt & Pepper — to taste
- Olive Oil — 2 Tbsp
- Red Wine Vinegar — 1 Tbsp (can be substituted with Balsamic Vinegar)
- Fresh Mozzarella Cheese — 1 ball (cut into thick slices)
- Avocado — 1 ripe (cut into thick slices)
- Cilantro — 2 Tbsp
- Bread Slices of your choice or baguette — 4 slices
- Basil Leaves — handful (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Place the tomatoes on a parchment paper lined baking tray with cut side facing up.
- Sprinkle garlic, olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper on each of the tomatoes and bake them for an hour.
- Toast lightly buttered bread on both sides, add cheese and toast the bread and cheese till the cheese just begins to melt.(Note: I baked buttered bread and cheese on oven till the cheese melted and the bread toasted). Alternatively fresh mozzarella cheese can be used in the sandwich without melting them.
- Add avocado slices and top them with oven roasted tomatoes. Garnish with cilantro leaves, drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper. Serve immediately. Enjoy!!!