Say hello to your new lunch obsession – these creamy, spicy, delicious tempeh pinwheels will turn your office lunch into a gourmet retreat!
Okay, don’t freak out just because I said “gourmet.” These pinwheels come together so quickly and with minimal effort. They are packed with tangy tempeh, creamy/spicy hummus, smooth avocado, and lettuce for a bit of crunch.
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
COOK TIME: n/a
TOTAL TIME: 20 minutes
YIELD: About 10-12 pieces
2 tortillas (I used Trader Joe’s Habeño Lime)
2 tbsp hummus (I used cilantro)
4-5 lettuce leaves
1/2 block tempeh
coconut oil for sautéing tempeh
cilantro for topping, optional
1 tbsp tamari
1 tbsp whole grain mustard
1 tsp maple syrup/agave
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1. Combine tempeh marinade in a shallow dish. Chop tempeh into thin strips and let marinate for about 10 minutes.
2. Wash and chop lettuce, cilantro. Chop avocado.
3. Assemble pinwheel base by laying out a tortilla, add lettuce, hummus, and avocado. Repeat process for second tortilla.
4. Heat coconut oil and cook tempeh for about 2-3 minutes on either side or until strips are crispy and heated through. Allow to cool for 1-2 minutes before layering in the tortilla.
5. Roll pinwheels and chop into 1-2 inch pieces. Top with cilantro. Serve immediately or allow to chill and serve the following day. Enjoy!