Though summer is my least favorite season, I love that I get to spend a lot of time with Yaseen. We will have a lot of outdoor activities despite the boiling temperature outside. And cooling summer drinks and desserts can make the hot weather bearable, not to mention all the juicy mangoes and other summer fruits that are going to hit the markets.
When I think of summer, I think of young coconut. Chilling coconut water is the best. It is very refreshing, filled with essential minerals and nutrients. Coconut water is such a summer thing, and we drink a lot of it in summer.
I have a coconut deliver at my door every morning. Usually I drink it after gym, but on the day that I don’t exercise, I give it to the boys or make something with it. And here is my favorite summer drink made with fresh young coconut. It’s so good, sweet and fragrant. Young Coconut Water is very popular drink in Thailand. You will see something like this selling on the side of the roads all years round. I always get one glass when I visit fresh markets. You will be surprised that it is very easy to make.
This recipe really enhances the beautiful flavor of coconut. Sometimes, I make a lot of this delightful coconut water drink and keep it in the fridge for the boys. It can be stored like that for a few days. I hope you like it, and here’s the recipe.
Thai Young Coconut Drink
Ingredients: (For 3-4 Servings)
1 fresh young coconut
500 ml water
½ cup sugar
A pinch of salt
2 fresh pandan leaves
Ice cubes for servings
- In a medium pot, bring water to boil.
- Add pandan leaves and sugar. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- Carefully cut the top of the coconut and pour coconut water into the pot. Stir and turn off the heat.
- Use a spoon to scoop coconut meat out of the shells and add it into sweet coconut water.
- Keep aside and let the coconut water cool down completely. The coconut water will be sweet and fragrant, and it should be a little murky because of the tender coconut meats swimming inside.
- Serve chill with lots of ice.