This recipe is intended to make generously sized scones by using a 1/4 cup measuring cup but you can also making mini scones with this battery by using a 3-ounce scoop (like an ice cream scoop) instead.
Enjoy with fresh fruit as part of breakfast or with your afternoon tea!
Cherry Cardamom Scones
Yield: 9 scones
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp almond milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar (unfiltered preferred)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup evaporated cane sugar
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1/8 tsp ground cinnmon
1/4 cup applesauce
1 Tbsp canola oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup dried cherries, chopped
1/2 cup chopped almonds, for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Stir together almond milk and vinegar and set aside to curdle (making vegan buttermilk).
- In a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, salt, sugar, cardamom and cinnamon.
- Stir in applesauce with a fork until mixture is crumbly. Use your hands if you have to!
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the almond milk mixture, canola oil and vanilla.
- Stir until just combined, then fold in cherries.
- Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop batter onto the baking sheet, leaving approximately 1/2 inch between scones.
- Top each scone with a bit of chopped almonds, if using, patting down gently.
- Bake 25-27 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges and the almond topping is lightly toasted.
- Serve immediately or cool to room temperature and freeze for up to a month.