Today was just one of those mornings where I needed a sandwich.
I was super tired from staying up late to get some school thins done, and when I rolled out of bed I wascraving eggs and bread with. a. burning. passion.
Ok so it wasn’t that bad.
But no one needs and excuse for an egg sandwich, right?
Perfectly scrambled eggs are topped with sharp, gooey melted cheddar and placed on top of a warm ciabatta bun that has been layered with fresh baby spinach. Warm and with a great balance of protein and carbohydrates, this sandwich is sure to keep you going all morning long!
Ciabatta Breakfast Egg and Cheese Sandwich
Serving Size: ½ sandwich
- 1 small ciabatta bun, cut in half to create a top and bottom
- 1/3c. egg whites (about 2 large)
- Hot sauce to taste
- 1/4tsp garlic powder
- 1/4tsp pepper
- 1 (1/2-oz) slice reduced fat cheddar
- 1/2c. baby spinach
- Take the ciabatta buns and tear out about 70% of the inside
dough (creating a “cavity” in the middle of the bun). This is an optional step,
but it is something I always do with my sandwiches: you don’t miss the bread,
it allows the filling flavors to shine, and it cuts down on unneeded carbs and calories.
- Toast the ciabatta buns. While they are toasting, combine
egg, hot sauce, garlic powder, and pepper. Whisk together. Spray a small pan
with cooking spray and scramble the eggs.
- To build the sandwich, layer the cheddar, spinach, and eggs
onto the bottom half of the bun. Top with the other half of the bun. Cut in
half to serve (this is so good with a side of fruit!)