Ok, so I’ll admit my alliteration leaves something to be desired but this dish doesn’t. This baked frittata stars potatoes and tofu and is the perfect showing-off-at-brunch entree or breakfast-for-dinner-again meal. Plus, this recipe comes together in a snap and spends most of its prep time in the oven, which frees you up to do, well, whatever you want!
Fancy Fritater Frittata
Yield: 4-6 servings
1 tsp canola oil
1lb Idaho gold potatoes
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb firm or extra-firm tofu
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp chopped rosemary
1 tsp dried thyme
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease an 8-inch pie plate and set aside.
- Grate potatoes (with skins) and press with a towel until mostly dry. Sautee with garlic in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Drain and crumble tofu. Toss with remaining ingredients. Add potatoes and stir to combine.
- Press mixture into pie plate and bake for 20 minutes, until the frittata is firm and lightly browned.
- Cool 3-4 minutes, then invert onto a serving plate, slice into wedges, and serve.
Serving tip: For an extra impressive punch of flavor and eye appeal, top each wedge with a dollop of vegan sour cream or even a garlic cream sauce and garnish with fresh dill.