Ladies and gentleman, I have gone mad. Yes, that’s right. I, the girl who doesn’t really care for sweets, am posting not one but TWO donut recipes this week. After mybaked apple donut post, I received e-mails from a few folks demanding to see some chocolate. I had already developed a chocolate donut recipe and talked about it on the Facebook page, but nobody had seen the recipe. Yet!
These dense, cakey donuts are virtually fat-free so they’re a totally guilt-less breakfast and dessert in one.
Chocolate-Chocolate Donuts with Dark Chocolate Ganache
Yield: 8 donuts
1 cup almond milk
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp vegan chocolate sauce or extract
2 Tbsp agave nectar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips, crushed in a food processor
1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
3-4 Tbsp vanilla almond milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray donut pan lightly with oil and set aside.
- Whisk together wet ingredients (including brown sugar) until foamy.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl, then add the wet mixture and fold in.
- Spoon into donut pan, filling each donut cup almost to the top and bake 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While the donuts are baking, melt chocolate in the microwave or in a small saucepan.
- Add almond milk 1 Tbsp at a time, stirring to combine until you reach the consistency of pancake batter.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- When donuts are cool enough to handle, dip one side in the chocolate ganache and place them on a cooling rack.
These donuts will keep in the refrigerator for 4 days but they probably won’t last that long!