Sometimes it feels good to just throw a bunch of ingredients in a pot, leave it alone for 20 minutes, and come back to a delicious and satisfying dinner. One-pot meals are so easy, and you know what the best part is?
Almost no dishes to do after dinner. Success!
That is exactly what this dish does! Bold, deep flavors are the stars. By braising fresh Tilapia fillets in fire-roasted tomatoes, lemon, and spices, the fish becomes infused with flavor. The braising helps the fish retain its moisture while allowing it to get flaky and perfectly cooked. Easy to prepare and delightful to eat, this dish is perfect for even the busiest night of the week.
Tomato Braised Tilapia
Serves 3 Serving Size: 1 fillet and accompanying sauce
- 1 (14.5-oz) can of diced fire roasted tomatoes (it’s OK if it has flavors added like garlic)
- 1/2c. water
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1tbl lemon juice
- 1/4tsp salt (plus a little for putting on the fish)
- 1/4tsp pepper (plus a little for putting on the fish)
- 1/8tsp chile powder
- 3 (6-oz) Tilapia fillets
- basil (optional)
- Pour the tomatoes, water, and garlic into a large rimmed pan, and bring to a broil over medium-high heat (stirring occasionally). Allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the lemon juice, salt, pepper, and chile powder.
- Meanwhile, take the skin off the fish and season each side with a pinch of salt and pepper. Place the fish into the pan, nestling them in so that the fish is partly submerged in the sauce. Simmer the fish in the sauce until opaque and cooked, approximately 8-10 minutes.
- To serve, place the fish and surrounding sauce into a bowl and garnish with basil (or, if wanted, this would go very well with some brown rice or some whole-grain spaghetti… Yum!)