I hear that fall is right around the corner! That’s hard to believe when you’re living in Florida, but I must admit, when September 1 rolls around, something shifts inside of me. I feel cool on the inside, even if it’s 95 degrees outside. My taste seems to change, too. I begin craving different flavors like cinnamon and pumpkin, and I tend to choose hot drinks over cold. All of that being said, you will now understand the timing of this particular post. I was doing research for a meal idea to share, and soup just sang to me. September and savory smells simmering on the stove beautifully represent the season forthcoming. And I am ready!
- 1 28 oz can of organic whole, peeled tomatoes & 1 small can of same (I had a small can of fire roasted tomatoes, so that’s what I used)
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1 medium white/yellow onion. chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups organic vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cups unsweetened original almond milk
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- a few leaves fresh basil (& a TBS dried basil, optional)
- sea salt, red pepper flakes, black pepper to taste
- *Optional* If you would like a creamier taste, add 2 TBS plain greek yogurt
- In a large pot, saute onion, garlic, bell pepper for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add all ingredients EXCEPT fresh basil & bring to a boil, mashing tomatoes along the way.
- Allow to cook for 7-10 minutes, then add chopped fresh basil and stir together.
- Transfer soup to blender and blend on high until it reaches desired creaminess.
- Transfer back to pot and sprinkle with additional seasonings & fresh basil.