Pesto with Basil, Artichoke and Peas
Yield: 4 servings
1 cup basil leaves, packed
1 cup quartered artichoke hearts (I use frozen & defrosted)
3/4 cup peas (fresh & blanched or frozen)
2 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
2 Tbsp vegetable broth
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
pinch fresh ground black pepper
8 oz whole wheat rotini (or other shaped pasta with ridges)
1/4 cup sunflower seeds (walnuts and pine nuts would also be good!)
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Reserve 1/4 cup pasta water when you drain the pasta.
- Combine basil, artichoke hearts and peas in a food process and pulse until chunky.
- Add garlic, nutritional yeast, vegetable broth, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Puree until smooth.
- Toss pesto with prepared pasta and 2 Tbsp pasta water. Add more pasta water as needed until the pesto coats the pasta without being too dry.
- Toss with sunflower seeds and serve warm, or chill for a cold pasta salad.