Welcome to my #SummerofSalads! As some of you may or may not know, Summer is actually my busiest season as I work a full-time seasonal position training kids in musical theatre alongside some of Broadway’s top performers and casting directors. The days are long and it’s a constant mix of utter exhaustion and exhilaration. Because my schedule is so hectic during this time, one thing I do for myself is take the time to make sure I’m eating really well. I just don’t have time to get sick, feel tired, or low-energy.
I try to start every morning with a fruit and vegan protein smoothie. For lunch, I usually pack some variety of rice, beans, greens, and avocado. This summer I have made a deal with myself to start packing more hearty salads and the first one up is this deliciousHearty. Roasted. Veggie. Salad. MMMM.
This salad combines crunch, sweet, savory and will definitely leave you satisfied. Feel free to swap out your favorite beans, veggies, and greens. For the salad base, I used a mix of kale, cabbage, and carrots. Spinach, arugula, or chard would all be great as well.
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 25 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 35 minutes
3/4 cup cooked brown rice
1 cup salad base (kale, cabbage, chard, spinach, etc.)
1 cup roasted veggies (broccoli, cauliflower)
1 cup spicy roasted chickpeas (recipe below)
coconut oil for roasting
For the spicy roasted chickpeas:
1 tbsp tamari (gluten free soy sauce)
1 tbsp whole grain mustard
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp sriracha
top with nutritional yeast
1. Wash and chop all veggies.
2. Preheat oven to 375F.
3. Combine soy sauce, mustard, curry powder, sriacha in a bowl and toss in chickpeas.
4. Empty marinated chickpeas, broccoli, and cauliflower onto a baking sheet. Pour excess marinade over the chickpeas.
5. Drizzle with coconut oil. Top with nutritional yeast.
6. Roast veggies and chickpeas for 25 minutes, flipping around once halfway through.
7. Allow veggies and chickpeas to cool before assembling salad. Layer salad in a jar or tupperware. Pack dressing on the side.
For the dressing, I used this recipe from Love and Lemons.