Nothing really says “good morning” like a warm, crumbly scone.
And scones are beautiful liars.
“Good morning, Heather! Christmas is in 12 days, but are we worried? No. “
“You’re a sophisticated, organized woman with a handle on everything from menus to wish lists. It’s not a big deal that your Christmas cards aren’t mailed yet…”
“…or that have your gifts haven’t been shipped… You’ve got this. In fact, even your breakfast is Christmas-y. Warm, gooey with a touch of orange here, a pinch of spices, and a hint of chocolate there… Santa would be jealous.”
A kale smoothie would never say that. Neither would a grapefruit or a bowl of bran cereal.
But, these puppies aren’t just empty calories. Made with almond meal, they are a great source of protein. THEY ARE NOT A CARB. And gluten-free? Beauty and brains?!? Dreams do come true.
Pretty amazing, aren’t they?
Well, they won’t get you’re shopping or cooking done, but they will relieve your stress and help you start your day right.
Gluten-Free Orange Cranberry Scones with Dark Chocolate Chips
Adapted from The Urban Poser
Click here for a printable recipe!
3 cups roasted almonds
4 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon allspice
1 cup dried cranberries
3/4 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips
1 large egg
2 tablespoons orange juice
Prep Time: 15 minutesBake Time: 10 minutesYields: 8 scones
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Stack two baking sheets on top of each other and line the top one with parchment paper. (The stacked baking sheets keep the bottoms of the scones from burning.)
2. Place almonds and brown sugar in a food processor. Blend until fine, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl.
3. Mix spices and baking soda into almond mixture. Add cranberries and chocolate chips and stir thoroughly.
4. In a small bowl, whisk egg with a fork. Add orange juice and continue whisking until blended.
5. Add liquid to almond mixture and stir well. Form dough into a ball and transfer to a flat surface. Pat dough into a flat oval about 1/2 inch thick. Using a biscuit cutter, cut out scones. Transfer scones to lined baking sheet with a large spatula.
6. Bake for 10 minutes or until scones are golden brown. Enjoy with a big cup of coffee while avoiding your to-do list.