And that’s the story of this brittle. In a long-winded way of course…. these cookies were destined to be brittle. A brittle that tasted oh so good. I started out to make cookies but as I stated earlier, “Life doesn’t always go the way you planned it to go”
Gluten Free Coconut Brittle
- Gluten Free Flour = 1 1/4 cups
- Unsweetened Coconut Flakes – 1 cup + 2 Tbsps
- Baking Soda – 1/4 tsp
- Baking Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Brown Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Coconut Oil – 10 Tbsp (I added 5 Tbsp Butter + 5 Tbsp coconut oil)
- Egg – 1 (at room temperature)
- Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
- Preheat oven to 300F. Spread coconut flakes evenly on baking sheet. Toast them until slighlty golden about 5 minutes. Remove the coconut flakes from oven and let it cool. Crush them in hand when they are ok to handle and set it aside.
- Preheat ovent to 350F. Prepare cookie sheets with parchment paper or baking mat. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk all the dry ingredients- flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, sugar, brown sugar until well combined without any lumps.
- Reserve about 2 Tbsp of crushed coconut flakes in a small bowl and add the remaining coconut flakes to the dry ingredients mixture in the bowl.
- Add melted coconut oil+ butter, egg, vanilla to the bowl one after another and combine well. Dough will be soft and sticky. If it is very hard to handle, leave them in refrigerator for few minutes.
- Scoop about 2 Tbsp of dough to the prepared sheet. Space them about 2 inches apart. Press each scooped dough lightly to form 1/2 inch thick discs. From the reserved 2 Tbsp coconut flakes, sprinkle little on each of the flattened disk.
- Bake in oven for about 10 minutes or until the brittle are lightly golden brown in the center and darker around the edges. Let it cool completely before breaking them into pieces. Enjoy!!!