This is another one that you can mix and match veggies and protein. The tomato cream sauce is pretty basic- tomatoes and cream cheese. I chose to use the 1/3 less fat cream cheese and the extra flavor from the fire roasted tomatoes brings this meal to a whole other level.
The leftovers are in the fridge now and it’s taking everything I have not to go eat them for breakfast.
Creamy Tomato & Sausage Tortellini
Adapted from Taste of Home
- 1 (19 ounce) package frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 2 fully cooked Italian chicken sausage links (3 ounces each), sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire roasted diced tomatoes with garlic, undrained
- 1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup shaved parmesan cheese
Cook tortellini according to package directions.
Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, heat olive oil. Add in mushrooms and onion and cook 4-5 minutes until onion is golden and the mushrooms begin to brown. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in sliced sausage and cook over medium-high heat 4-5 minutes or until browned. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, and spinach; cook and stir just until spinach is wilted. Stir in cream cheese until melted.
Drain tortellini; add to sausage mixture. Toss to combine.
Serve with parmesan cheese if desired.