most cornbread served these days is very sweet, and seems almost like a dessert. i wanted to create a cornbread that was savory, and this recipe definitely fit the bill. this would be absolutely perfect to serve at a bbq or summer clam bake. i usually find cornbread to be heavy and dry, but this was moist, fluffy, and just fantastic! you should definitely make the honey goat cheese to spread on top. it’s a little bit tangy and sweet, and adds the perfect sweetness to the savory cornbread.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup egg whites (or 2 whole eggs)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 4 oz creamy goat cheese (try chavrie)
- 2 tbsp honey
- mix cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl
- stir in egg whites, buttermilk, canola oil, and honey
- place in a square, glass, 9×9 baking dish, and bake at 400 for about 20 minutes, or golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- allow to cool, and slice into squares (i made 16)
- mix goat cheese and 2 tbsp honey until well-incorporated.
- spread honey goat cheese on squares of cornbread, eat, and enjoy!